There are so many things to love about the holiday season. Time with family, good food, decorations,
dressing my dog up like an elf, and…. holiday make-up! It’s one of the best times to branch out and try new brands because lots of the companies will put together several products and put a low price tag on it.
One of the palettes I was most excited to try out was the Too Faced Sweet Dreams Makeup Collection, exclusively at Sephora ($52). It features 15 eyeshadows (0.3oz ea), 2 blushes (0.8oz ea), 1 bronzer (0.14oz), and 1 highlighter (0.14oz). It’s a $186 value.
Check it out!Lets start with the packaging. Cute, yes. It’s made from thick cardboard and it feels fairly sturdy. It’s is bulky and inconvenient for traveling. However, if you are someone who keeps your make up pretty stationary, I’m sure this wouldn’t be an issue for you. (*Sidenote, I bought my 14 year old cousin the In Your Dreams palette and she was THRILLED!)
Click the image to see it in full size (the bottom left is “Honeymoon,” and the bottom right is “First Dance.”)
There are 4 mattes (In the Buff, Teddy Bear, Smolder, and First Dance). 4 shimmer with glitter (Peach Fuzz, Party Girl, Lovey Dovey, and Label Whore). The remaining 7 are shimmery (Copper Peony, Satin Sheets, Cut the Cake, Nice Ash, Honeymoon, Nice Stems!, Cop a Teal).
1) Only 3 of the shades were duds (for me), so I still have 12 quality eyes shadows that are wonderful. They apply nicely and have great staying power. I get 8-10 hours of wear time.
2) Label Whore is probably the most unique. It looks like a dark green in the pan but when applied it reflects blue and brown. As you can see from the swatch (with flash) it looks really brown. It doesn’t look that brown in person.
1) In the Buff: It’s a matte ivory. It’s not a bad color, it’s just chalky on me. I have a hard time getting it to show up, even with primer.
2) Peach Fuzz: It’s chalky and I experienced really bad fallout with the glitter. It’s described as a “golden peach shimmer.” I would have to disagree, it’s not quite dark enough for me to call it “peach.” I would say it’s a very light pink. I also had trouble getting this one to show up and stay, with primer.
3) Honeymoon: It applies slotchy on me. I tried it with several different brushes and I couldn’t get it to apply evenly.
4) Not enough mattes. With 15 eyeshadows I think they could’ve included more mattes.
Glitter rating 4 / 5
(this is the complete rating, including all the eyeshadows, blush, bronzer, and highlighter.)