Black eyeliner is just one of those things you can’t do without. I used to abuse it back in the day (haven’t we all been there?) but now I try to limit my use so I don’t look like Morticia Adams.
After some experimenting, I wanted to share with you guys some of my favorites, including my #1 favorite eyeliner EVER! And some duds too, that’ll help save ya some cash. Ladies and gents, I give you
BATTLE OF THE BLACK EYELINERS
Who will win this epic battle?
Here are the contenders (in no particular order):
1) Milani LIQUID EYE Liquid-Like Eye Liner Pencil (Black). It is $7.99 for 0.04oz. Available in 5 shades.
- This eyeliner is the only drugstore eyeliner featured in this post. It is pigmented, has great staying power, and glides on easily. A true drugstore gem. The downside is that it only comes in 5 colors.
2) MAC Eye Kohl (Smolder). It is $15.00 for 0.05oz. Available in 10 shades (permanent ones).
- This glides one very easily and is also very pigmented. I’ve had the same pencil for quite some time because it lasts so long. The downside is that it wears off. For example, throughout the day when my lids start to get a little oily, the liner will rub off on my upper eyelid.
3) Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (Perversion). It is $18.00 for 0.04oz. Available in 21 shades.
- I cannot say enough good things about this liner. It’s everything you ever wanted an eyeliner to be. Smooth, pigmented, lasts a long time, and a great shade range. There really isn’t a downside to this one except the hefty price tag.
4) Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner (Onyx). It is $19.00 for 0.04oz. Available in 8 shades.
- This eyeliner isn’t very pigmented, I have a hard time getting it to show up. It also doesn’t last very long. I like that it includes the sharpener on the cap, however, since the product is a dud for me it doesn’t really make a difference. Also, the fact that it’s the most expensive one included on this list is a double whammy. I realize the price tag includes a sharpener, however, most people have a sharpener for their kit anyway. I feel like it may be convenient at times but overall unnecessary.
Who is the winner of this battle? Drumroll please……..
MILANI LIQUID EYE LIQUID LIKE EYELINER PENCIL!
It’s a bummer that it only comes in 5 shades because the formula is out of this world. It’s just as good as the Urban Decay but a third of the price tag (although I still LOVE the UD). The quality for the price wins me over here.
Glitter rating for Milani Liquid Eye: 5 / 5
Glitter rating for MAC Eye Kohl: 3.5 / 5
Glitter rating for UD 24/7: 5 / 5
Glitter rating for Smashbox Limitless: 0.5 / 5
Links to the manufactures websites has been included above. Milani products are available at most drugstores.
Happy Sparkley Hump Day! XOXO