With summer in full swing and the rising heat (ick), my beauty routine has definitely lightened up significantly. Not only because the heat makes me lazy but also because a fully made-up face in 100-degree weather can melt and end up looking funky. No one wants to have raccoon eyes. Here are my 7 summer beauty essentials that keep me feeling fresh and pretty without looking overdone.
1. L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara: This is hands down my favorite mascara of all time. I’ve tried them all from Dior to Lancome to all the drugstore brands. Nothing exceeds the volume, thickness and length that L’Oreal Voluminous gives. It never flakes and lashes feel soft and flexible to the touch with this mascara. Most others leave mine crispy and stiff. Many celebrity makeup artists swear by this mascara. A few swipes of this and I feel glamorous and ready for the day. The $7.99 price tag and the fact that it’s often buy 1 get 1 50% off isn’t bad either!
2. Bright lipstick: Since I don’t wear dramatic eye makeup in the summer I love to make a statement with a bold lip. I only like to make one beauty statement at a time. During the colder months I love a smokey, dark eye and nude lip. The summer is such a fun time to express yourself with vibrant, playful lips. I have three that I’m currently rotating between depending on my outfit and mood:
- Revlon Persian Melon: This is one of my absolute favorite lipsticks. It’s a gorgeous hot pink cream with no shimmer, which is ideal. I prefer a lip color with no shimmer when a color is this bright.
- Lancome Rouge in Love High Potency Lipcolor lipstick in Rose Boudoir : This is a matte lipstick that’s a lovely and bright coral pink. It’s long wearing, which is a bonus!
- Maybelline Fuchsia Fever: Fuchsia is a really fun lip color and this is my favorite fuchsia lipstick I’ve found. It has a similar look to the bright pinks but the hint of purple in fuchsia really adds a fun, playful pop to your look.
3. Sheer Lipgloss: As much as I love love love lipstick, sometimes it’s too heavy for extremely hot temperatures. When lipstick feels like too much, I like wearing a light pink shimmery gloss. My current favorite is Victoria’s Secret Color Lust Lip Lacquer in Knowing. It’s a beautiful baby pink with shimmer. It’s currently out of stock on the VS website but I bought it during the Semi-Annual Sale. MAC Lipglass in Cultured is another favorite..
4. MoroccanOil: When temps are scorching the last thing you want to do is fuss with your hair and use a ton of product. MoroccanOil is my favorite hair product ever. Just one pump of this stuff leaves my hair silky smooth, super shiny and frizz free. Whether I’m air drying or blow drying this is the only product I put in my hair besides hairspray.
5. Victoria’s Secret Beach Sexy Tinted Self-Tan Lotion: Nothing screams summer like a cute, casual dress and tan legs. Since the tanning bed is out, I self-tan once a week so my legs are dress ready. After recently writing a post bout my favorite tanning creams, my cousin told me her favorite is the Victoria’s Secret tanning lotion. I bought it right away and this has now topped my list as the BEST tanning lotion ever. Here’s why:
- It gives a beautiful, natural-brown glow like you just got back from vacation.
- The first application’s color isn’t too intense so you can gradually achieve your desired tan minus mishaps.
- It smells like the tropics.
- It has a golden shimmer to it so legs are left glistening.
- It’s only $12!!!
If this hasn’t sold you on trying this tanning lotion I’m not sure what will!
6. Jo Malone White Jasmine Mint cologne: I’m a perfume lover but when it’s roasting outside wearing a rich or ultra-sweet perfume can be too much. I picked up a bottle of this Jo Malone fragrance in Vegas and am so in love. It’s the perfect summer scent because it literally has only two notes: white jasmine and mint. The fragrance is made using real mint and jasmine so it doesn’t smell like a perfume, it smells exactly like what’s it’s called. All of Jo Malone’s scents are like this and most are unisex. This is the perfect, fresh scent for the hot weather. Jo Malone makes so many other wonderful fragrances as well and they are all made for layering with each other. My other favorite from this line is Nectarine Blossom & Honey.
7. Bright Nail Polish: One of my favorite things about summer is being able to wear vibrant, playful colors on both my hands and feet. I love the typical pinks, corals and reds and I really love unexpected shades of blue and green. I always have my fingers and toes polished up and I rarely match them. It’s fun to have coral toes and pale blue nails. My current favorites for the season are Essie’s Bikini So Teeny , Lovie Dovie , Too Too Hot and Mint Candy Apple.
Thank you for checking out my 7 summer beauty essentials!
Arantha is a fellow 20-something beauty blogger with a passion for healthy food. Stop by her blog for new beauty finds, product reviews, giveaways and healthy, simple recipes! You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram (username: GourmetBeauty).